A Twisted Crown of Thorns ®

Reformed. Christianity. Evangelism. Modern Culture.

Modern day preaching and it’s “slick schtick”

To summarise a lot of modern day preaching ….

20140604-102737-37657881.jpg
Excerpt from “The Kind of Preaching God Blesses” by Steve Lawson

About these ads

11 responses to “Modern day preaching and it’s “slick schtick”

1. Jim June 4, 2014 at 13:07

Yes, this is so true.

I’ve been to 40+ churches of all persuasions in a 7 year period. Two things stand out to me. 1) people largely do not sing and 2) the preaching is anemic.

It is exactly as Lawson describes. The larger question that has to be asked is why?

When I was took homiletics and preaching in Seminary we were trained how to craft and deliver three types of sermons: A topical message, a Textual message and an Expository message. Everyone knew how to do these correctly and why you would use one over the other. We were trained to teach the Bible to those who were not trained.

Our seminaries must be training younger pastors to preach in the way that Lawson describes and I have heard over and over and over again with my own ears.

This is the type of preaching where one reads a verse, then spends the time telling stories and jokes, filling up all the time with your own thoughts and words. We claim that God’s Word is the only thing that really matters, yet all these preachers do is fill their sermons with their own words.

No wonder research has shown that the modern day church is being dumbed down. Read the shocking details here: George Barna: the Seeker-Sensitive Church is Model is Dumbing Down Disciples http://notforitchingears.com/2010/12/26/george-barna-the-seeker-sensitive-church-model-dumbing-down-disciples/

• Acidri June 4, 2014 at 23:14

Jim those details are quite shocking. Reminds me of this video….

• Jim June 5, 2014 at 16:33

To be fair, she was probably leading worship. According to the WCF I think God is MMMMMMM Good! :)

• Acidri June 6, 2014 at 07:24

Like Campbell soup…mmmmm!?

• Jim June 6, 2014 at 14:16

I prefer progresso!

• Pieter Stok June 5, 2014 at 07:14

Jim, I have had the same experience. Churches are adapting to the world rather than challenging the world with the gospel.

2. Pingback: The Round-Up (June 4, 2014) | Entreating Favor

3. Streim June 4, 2014 at 18:21

Thank you for sharing this, I pray many bloggers read it. Bless you brother!
    Stephanie

• Acidri June 4, 2014 at 23:07

Thanks for passing by Stephanie.

4. Pieter Stok June 5, 2014 at 07:17

Campbell’s soup! What planet am I on?

• Acidri June 5, 2014 at 12:58

Well there you have it! :)