A Twisted Crown of Thorns ®

Reformed. Christianity. Evangelism. Modern Culture.

A recent ministry update reported on a yet new move of the “Holy Ghost”. Indeed this was a newer move by all ranks as it was reported. The revival meeting started with the man of God exhorting believers as to how God in these last days wants to fill them with the new wine of the Holy Ghost. Before long it was Happy Hour and it was claimed the congregation was doused in “Godka,” “God-wiser” and puffing the glory cloud, “Jehovah-wanna.” He mentioned how the drug culture is simply a counterfeit and unholy substitute for real supernatural experience with the Lord.

How far Evangelicalism has fallen to begin to revel in fancy mystic manifestations and unbridled excesses of self gratification! Surely, are “Godka”, “Jehovah-wanna” and “God-wiser” scriptural? If so I want a double. Where is the word of God being taught? Where is The sufficience of scripture in the foundaalcohol 3tions of our doctrinal practices? Where is the seeking of Gods face? Where is repentance? The further we move from the Word and leading of God than we begin to light up strange fires and conjure up mystic experiences. Mystic experiences and transcendental extrapolations do not mean God has sanctioned the move. This new move is definitely a some what twenty ninth chapter of Acts and begs for  an Annanias and Saphira ellipsis.

fireeater And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered STRANGE FIRE before the LORD, which he commanded them not. And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.  Lev 10:1-2 KJV

Strange fires, occult manifestations and blasphemous concoctions are heralded as the next to be sought after in Christian conferences and “revival meetings”. Whatever happened to discipline in the word and self control?

A Holy God seeks a Holy people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

The Church will remain scripturally illiterate and spiritually bankrupt if it cannot confront its challenges and happy larrytemptations with “It is written…” But alas! Rudderless, she will be an easy target for smooth talkers, flattering false prophets and teachers who come with lofty speech and words tipped with human wisdom.

For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. And  I was with you  in weakness and in fear and much trembling,  and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of  the Spirit and of power,  that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but d in the power of God. 1 Cor 2:2-5 ESV

If revival graced our times, it would leave everybody hungry for more of God.  Beloved I wish we would prosper in the Word even as our souls prosper. The Holy Spirit would convict the church of sin, righteousness and judgement. This 3-D experience as it were, would span a cataclysmic change that would drive the elect to a deeper understanding of repentance and purity. Being drunk with the spirit would be a launch pad for not the next fad but would empower the meekest believer to become a witness in his Jerusalem and Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.

Oh how I hunger and thirst for the real move of God in my life and my fellow brothers. Like a deer thirsts for the water brooks; I pray that my times of refreshing would come from His presence alone. I would probably come to an understanding  of that verse where Jesus said that look, the fields are white for harvest. i would then understand the earnestness o fthe times and pray with fervency that the Lord of the harvest may send labourers into his harvest. It surely is’nt time to slacken and get entangled with things that easily ensnare us and numb us to sleep. Its time to remain alert for false fires and teachers; be vigilant in the things of God. Be well read in scripture…like the Berean Church in Acts 17:11.

For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, are drunk at night. But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation. 1 Thess 5:7-8 ESV

God is Almighty and Gracious. Who can fathom His infinite wisdom? If tonight after my bed time prayer God however wants to knock me down first with a “Jehova-wanna” glory cloud or shaken and stirred dose of “God-ka” or better still “God-wiser”, then I will gladly take it. But I have his word (The Bible) as the only trustable revelation of who God is and what he wants me to know about Him and how I ought to conduct myself when confronted with mysticism. Why would I violate His word by dabbling in mysticism and the occult when He himself has told me these are things that He forbids?

Whys should we believe every one who comes saying, “God told me this morning” or “Last night I had a fresh revelation”? Isn’t the Bible sufficient a revelation enough?

[This article was first published  in 2009 at the height of my involvement in Charismatic church. It was one of my most heart felt pleas as a Charismatic (then) to fellow Charismatic Christians]

Advertisements

15 responses to “What next after Sloshfest? Don’t we need another fad to lead us out of Christianity?

1. kittykit November 4, 2009 at 12:31

Unfortunately, people will never know a counterfeit if they aren’t familiar with the real deal. Great scriptures.

2. Lisa November 4, 2009 at 22:02

I gotta agree with Kttykit. But being raised in a very strict, old fashioned church, this kind of church service is still very shocking to me. And so sad.

3. Kim November 5, 2009 at 01:48

Great article…thank you for writing it. When I was truly converted, I also deeply hungered for God’s Word. I could not get enough and still thirst for it. Also the Holy Spirit did some serious conviction of sin in my life.

4. Pastor Curt November 6, 2009 at 16:32

I agree that a solid grounding in the Word is critical for maturing in Christ. Your love for God and for the Word is evident and commendable.

These believers that you write about, possibly, are simply enjoying the wonderful presense of the Holy Spirit in their lives, and in their midst. “And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.” Eph 5:18&19

I would not choose to express myself in the terms that they use in their service, but I also would not be quick to judge these individuals on this criteria alone. What else was said? Was there a teaching from the Word? How was the Word handled? Perhaps this approach is helping to bring people out of darkness and into the light.

“Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.” Rom 14:5

5. timbob November 8, 2009 at 08:16

Good morning. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Your post here touches on something that I’ve been thinking on for a couple of days now. The need for God-given discernment concerning that which is authentic and that which is counterfeit. The true workings of the Holy Spirit will always bring glory to the name of Jesus and bring the saints closer to him. There will be deliverance, restoration, healing, revelation, wisdom, and direction. But to focus primarily on experience is dangerous. As you mention, “mystic manifestations and extrapolations do not mean God has sanctioned the move.” Hebrews 5:14 explains it perfectly:

“But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who, by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.”

Never has the need for discernment been greater and yet it seems astonishingly absent in many venues. So imperative it is for us to stay in prayer and stay in the word of God. I’m really glad to have found your site. I’ll be stopping in when time permits.

Blessings always in Jesus name.

timbob

6. kingsbridesforum November 8, 2009 at 16:17

Dear brother Acidri,
    You said, “Oh how I hunger and thirst for the real move of God in my life. Like a deer thirsts for the water brooks; I pray that my times of refreshing would come from His presence alone.” And oh, how I feel the same way! I recently had a conversation with a friend by emal, who has been so hurt by false teachings, false manifestations, and the like, that she ended up closing herself up almost entirely for the real deal, the real power of the Holy Spirit, the real manifestation of His gifts and of God’s power. I told her that I want to see the power of God moving in the church again, the real thing, as it was in the book of Acts, as it was in the time of Elijah, because I strongly believe that we will desperatly need the power of God at that level once the persecution of the Body of Christ begins to escalate, and especially when the Antichrist is reveled and begins to wage war against the saints of God. I shared with her these verses in Daniel 11:32-33 – “Those who do wickedly against the covenant he (the Antichrist) shall corrupt with flattery; but the people who know their God shall be strong, and carry out great exploits. And those of the people who understand shall instruct many; yet for many days they shall fall by sword and flame, by captivity and plundering.” As the fire of persecution begins to get hotter and hotter, the supernatural, miraculous power of God will begin to be manifested in the lives of true believers, and we will see the God of Elijah in all His glory moving in our midst once again…

7. timbob November 8, 2009 at 21:15

Hi again. Hello also to “kingsbride forum.” It’s great to know that, in this age of confusion and superfluity, there are still those who hunger and thirst after the Lord and desire the true power of the Holy Spirit. I fear that, were it not for these electronic forums, many of us would have long ago proclaimed, “I am all alone and they seek my life.” May we all exhort one another as we see the day approaching.

Blessings to all in Jesus name.

timbob

8. kingsbridesforum November 9, 2009 at 00:13

Hello also to you, timbob. You can call me KB for short. I also am very thankful for these electronic forums where we find likeminded believers with whom we are able to share our hearts and burdens for the Church of our Lord. I, by the way, have been heavily burdened, as I see the apostasy overtaking the church in general at such an allarming rate… Even my own pastor, who used to be Biblically sound for the most part, is now falling into error. It all started when he first read “The Shack.” My husband and I sent him a couple of emails with very well written apologetic articles expounding on the doctrinal errors of that book. Instead of listening to it, he went out and bought another book: “Finding God in the Shack,” to justify his endorsement of “The Shack.” Now I begin to see the real meaning of Paul’s words, “A little leaven leavens the whole lump of though…”
    I am going to visit your blog now, timbob. Come by mine when you have a chance as well. Shalom Adonai, brother!

9. thenonconformer November 9, 2009 at 01:36

I too do not want to detract at any one moment from the gracious move of God. But sadly I found the pentecostal pastors just as bad and as crooked as the Baptist one snow too..

10. Pastor Curt November 9, 2009 at 12:18

thenonconformer, You really shouldn’t make stereotypical assertions. Judging entire groups such as pentecostal pastors, or Baptists by the actions of a limited group of examples, is wrong. There are many fine, godly, men and women serving God as pentecostal pastors or Baptists. Each one should be evaluated by their own words and deeds. They should not be judged by association with someone who may have fallen short.

11. kingsbridesforum November 9, 2009 at 14:50

I agree with Pastor Curt. I have also seen people practically discard the gifts of the Spirit altogether on account of the false moves, “throwing the baby out with the bathwater,” as it were. Regardless of all the false teachers and prophets, God still has his faithful servants, ministers, pastors, deacons, evangelists, etc.,who have not bowed down to Baal. Unfortunately I cannot find any of those in my area these days…

12. Kim November 10, 2009 at 01:05

I too have had to warn readers about “The Shack”. It is very deceiving….

I have met and talked with others who have “come out of her” regarding false manifestation. These manifestations feed the flesh. I too was once deceived by a false anointing and found that praying for truth and reading scripture opened my eyes, and I repented. We cannot judge others hearts but we can judge all things through scripture. Just like Bereans. Paul’s words were examined thoroughly and he and welcomed it.

13. Charlotte May 16, 2010 at 08:53

Really interesting post u have here.

14. VictusVeritas June 10, 2010 at 18:18

Hey Acidri, great Post, not sure if your aware, but David Vaughan from Sloshfest is now in the British Big Brother on Channel four.
    Its sad that people will think people will associate him with real christianity.

• Acidri June 10, 2010 at 18:55

Thanks Victus just read your article.You are right there is no scriptural basis for these mystic manifestations. It’s all unbiblical and diminishes the value of the cross and what Jesus accomplished. These manifestations and search for more profound and vivid imagery and distortions of reality will lead to more bondage and legalism…which all spirals back into lawlessness(sin) and works based righteousness.