A Twisted Crown of Thorns ®

Reformed. Christianity. Evangelism. Modern Culture.

Pentecostal History Proves Cessation of Spiritual Gifts

For over 15 years I grew up a Pentecostal/Charismatic. I have featured these video because of the depth of history they cover. They are  not featured in jest or to  taunt. But if it provokes some body to read their Bible and search deeper in the Scriptures then it will have atleast served a purpose worthy of the calling that this blog was designed to achieve. To the glory of God.

The entire Pentecostal movement was founded upon the idea that the spiritual gifts previously experienced at Pentecost and during the New Testament era had left the church for a time but were now returning to the church. The leaders are quoted as making such statements several times. According to their own teaching this was a “restoration” of gifts that had formerly been lost to the church.

Headlines in their papers read “Pentecostal Baptism Restored” and “Pentecost Has Come.” In these articles they say God was “bringing back the Pentecostal Baptism to the church” and until this time men had only been preaching a “partial gospel.” This clearly reveals that even the founders knew there was NO evidence of tongues or any other spiritual gift in their day and age until they began to experience it. The men who founded the Pentecostal churches in our communities today taught that until they were formed, tongues and other gifts had been taken from the church.

Adapted from Guided by Truth

Ps: I will add that there are still some well meaning and clear thinking Pentecostal and Charismatic Christians with whom I would not hesitate to have fellowship. As long as they realise that we have all been baptised into one body (Christ) by one Spirit (The Holy Spirit) and salvation is only by Repentance alone and Faith alone  in Jesus Christ alone.

8 responses to “Pentecostal History Proves Cessation of Spiritual Gifts

1. William Price September 12, 2010 at 13:34

The gifts did not cease, and have not ceased. But, the gifts are not as the Charismatic/Pentecostal churches claim either. They are as active as they have been, but are not sensationalistic. They are at work through believers daily.

I, too, am a former pentecostal. I believe in the gifts still, and that these gifts have continued. But, when they are in use by the will of God through the Spirit, they are done so solely for the glory and honor of God alone. Pentecostalism is a sham and a fake, and brings absolutely no glory to God. It is emotional nonsense and should never be confused with proper Christianity.

• Acidri September 12, 2010 at 13:49

William thank you for your comment. I am abit confused by your staement ‘the gifts did not cease’.What gifts in particular are you referring to? Could you clarify please?

• William Price September 12, 2010 at 18:19

Sure. I am speaking of the gifts that the Bible records in 1Corinthians. Those gifts which were in use, and continued in use, for the edifying of the church, the encouragement of the saints, and to the glory and honor of God. I believe tongues still happen, but not the gibberish that takes place, as well as interpretation. We may not have that fake tingling so much of the Charismatics believe, but each and every gift is still active in the church today.

Pentecostalism perverted the gifts and made them into an emotional spasm instead of the ordered and ordained tool of God through which His will is accomplished.

2. Terri September 13, 2010 at 19:30

I’ve been a pentecostal my entire adult life. I don’t believe that the gifts ever completely ceased. I have experienced many in my own life and couldn’t deny it anymore than the fact that the sun rises in the morning. I admit there’ve been many times I prayed for miracles and God did not grant them. He is sovereign and He decides how and when to answer prayers. I don’t always understand His answers, but how can I. I’m only human. I do know that I will continue to believe that He is able and I will continue to pray. Faith is often ignited and augmented at the experience of a miracle and God is glorified.

This is not to say that people have not faked miracles or done silly things in the name of God or of Pentecost. These things never glorified God.

I believe God does miracles in every kind of church, in every age, and the Spirit is moving on every true believer no matter what his/her Christian title. It’s nothing the Pentecostals have a corner on. Let’s let God be God and be in awe of Him continually. Let’s also be united together as believers in the essentials: That there is one Body, one Christ, one faith and baptism; That salvation is by repentance and faith in Christ alone. Let’s pray for each other and especially for those persecuted for their faith in Christ.

• Acidri September 13, 2010 at 20:35

Terri thanks for your comment. I agree with you when you say salvation is by repentance and faith in Christ alone. I still believe God heals. More than anything I believe in the Sovereignity of God. Thanks for passing by.

3. sentimentsscribbles September 20, 2010 at 17:16

Interesting post.

4. Pingback: Tongues And Speaking of The Chaos Factor | Twisted Crown of Thorns ®