A Twisted Crown of Thorns ®

Reformed. Christianity. Evangelism. Modern Culture.

Rob Bell’s Church Invites Muslim To Communion Table

Mars Hill church must have lost all theological bearings and now wants to do the unthinkable. Seeing this latest jubilant tweet from Shane Hipps (Rob Bell’s co-pastor):

Does Shane know that when communion was instituted Jesus actually said as often as you do this remember me? Does he know that the drink is symbolic of the blood of Christ shed as a seal of a covenant being established on behalf of believers?

This is my body, which is given for you.  Do this in remembrance of me.”  In the same way, he took the cup of wine after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant between God and you, sealed by the shedding of my blood.  Do this in remembrance of me as often as you drink it.”  For every time you eat this bread and drink this cup, you are announcing the Lord’s death until he comes again. (1 Corinthians 11:24-26)

Does Shane know that whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord (1 Cor 11:27)?

Oh he doesn’t care, does he?

Advertisements

11 responses to “Rob Bell’s Church Invites Muslim To Communion Table

1. Margot Murray September 11, 2011 at 22:40

Chris Rosebrough update on Facebook “Shane Hipps, Rob Bell’s co-pastor at Mars Hill clarified his tweet and said that the Muslim woman didn’t take communion but was only offered Communion. In other words, she has more theological sense than the folks at Bell’s church.”

Why am I not surprised at anything Rob Bell does?

• Michael Acidri September 12, 2011 at 03:36

I do not think you are alone.

2. therooflesschurch September 12, 2011 at 00:18

I’ve never heard of a Muslim choosing to go to the communion table, but I know that when I visited a Catholic monastery for school and they allowed me to have communion, it touched my heart and I ended up crying. It never made sense to me that even though I’m a Christian, many other Catholic churches would not have let me take communion. My point is that I can imagine how touched that Muslim person might have felt. I know a lot of Christians wouldn’t like to hear that, but I think Jesus would have approved. Especially after the incident with the Canaanite woman in Matthew 15:21-28. Jesus started out basically calling her a dog but ended up commending her on her faith.

I doubt that Muslim woman would’ve gone to the table without knowing what it meant. How can we further the kingdom by turning her away? Besides most Christians don’t realize that Muslims believe in Jesus as the promised Messiah too and more of them believe in his literal second coming than most Christians do. Still, I know that does not make them Christian, but they respect him deeply and what better way to learn about someone than to share in a meal with them. What are we afraid of–that there is not enough truth to go around? If our faith in Christ is so strong we have nothing to lose and many souls to gain through sharing his love with others–especially if they show a willingness to be satisfied eating the crumbs from the Master’s table.

• Michael Acidri September 12, 2011 at 03:35

Dear Rooflesschurch,
      Looking at two distinctives of the sacraments of the church. They are exclusive and not inclusive. That is communion and baptism are exclusively for those within the covenant. They are in no way to be referred to as crumbs from the masters table. To a believer they hold immense significance. I would have thought you would have understood that bit seeing that you are a “christian” but ofcourse I am mistaken.

• MalcolmTurner September 12, 2011 at 12:35

Well, it is easy to see that you are not a regenerate believer which is why you find it acceptable for unbelievers to partake in the Lord’s supper.
      Only those who trust in Christ as their only Saviour from sin and condemnation and have been regenerated by the Holy Ghost have any right to the Lord’s supper.
      You need to repent of your blashemy my friend

• M D March 4, 2013 at 09:04

therooflesschurch-where in the world did you get the idea that Muslims believe Jesus is the coming Messiah? They believe he was a prophet and did NOT die on the cross. They do not believe he is the son of God or God or anything besides a prophet. I know lots of Muslims and I talk to them and they will argue with me till I am blue in the face about Jesus being nothing more than a prophet.
      But they do believe this “prophet” will come back as a Muslim and he will break the cross (destroy Christianity) and be a slave to Islam. He will also abolish the jizya, which will leave Jews and Christians with only two options-To convert to Islam or die. I thin you need to get your facts straight before you start excusing them. Do you really think God wants someone taking communion who wants to kill Christians and does not believe in him?
      Would Paul, as a Roman crucifier of Christians been invited to the table? Of course not!
      Islam is the devil’s religion. It takes our anti-Christ and makes him their hero, It takes their man-Mohammed and makes him a prophet, all while he was killing Jews and Christians, encouraging his soldiers to take their wives and have sex with them, he took for himself several wives-one a VERY young child, it takes our Christ and turns him to a mere prophet, it encourages violence against those that will not convert to Islam and death to those that leave the Islamic faith.
      All of the end time prophecy centers around Islam and the Middle East as a wicked people who will come against Israel and be destroyed.
      I think you have no idea what Islam is and take your info from television or Muslims that practice al-taqayya (lying to protect Islam) and you believe it because you won’t take the time to do your own research.
      My knowledge of Islam comes from reading the Quaran, the haddiths, Sharia law, conversing with Muslims and reading the Bible where the Middle east and the last days are talked about.

3. Jim September 12, 2011 at 12:10

I am struggling to find the reason any church would invite a muslim to serve communion to the church. What purpose does that serve? Muslims do not believe in Jesus as the promised Messiah. They categorically reject Christ and the message of Christianity. Period. To publicly state otherwise shows you don’t understand their position. They may think Jesus was a prophet, and that He died on a cross. They don’t believe he is the Son of God, who died on the cross for our sins and the rose from the dead.

Was this gesture meant to possibly help her come to terms with the Gospel and become a disciple of Christ? If so, good motive, bad choice.

Was it done to teach the church something about missions or some other important point? Good motive, but clearly a poor choice.

In the early church, they had all non-christians LEAVE the meeting after the main gathering and before they had communion and prayer. (See Justin Martyr). They did this because they understood that their was something quite sacred about communion and prayer.

To invite a person who is outside of the faith to actually SERVE communion to the saints would have been considered heresy. If this is OK, would it be OK to have a Muslim deliver the sermon or offer a Call to Worship? Some “churches” are allowing this. All of us should have non-christian friends that we are sharing the faith with, but this is just plain wrong. A leader who can not see grasp this should not be leading.

4. MalcolmTurner September 12, 2011 at 12:23

There are some who obviously do not have a clue about Biblical Christianity and that includes many who profess the name of Jesus.
    Baptism, as well as the Lord’s supper are for those who have received Christ as their Saviour and and are trusting fully on the Lord for all of their salvation. Muslims reject that Christ is the Son of God or that He is the only Saviour of men’s Souls. That muslim woman had no right to the Lord’s supper. Obviously the fool who calls himself the rooflesschurch needs to learn what Biblical Christianity and learn what the application of the Lord’s supper is.

5. Marianna September 12, 2011 at 13:10

An invitation of any non-believer to the Lord’s table reveals lack of understanding of the “New Covenant” that Jesus shed His precious blood for, His blood as Redeemer, Savior of His people – Luke 22:20
    “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.”
    The Lord’s table is to be shared among those in covenant with Him.

6. therooflesschurch September 12, 2011 at 17:40

Malcolm, I say this to you in Love:

Matthew 5:22
    But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire.

Even if you don’t understand my position or Bell’s for that matter (this is not a defense of his choice), your response is not Christlike at all. You know that in your soul I am sure. I do not take it personally, because you do not know me and someone who feels that they need to respond that way to someone with a different understanding probably needs a hug. If you think I am in error, as a Christian, you should try to assist me in coming to clarity through scripture like Marianna presented. I don’t claim to know the Bible inside and out, but I do know that Jesus was killed by those who claimed to know God and they hated him for including those who they thought should be left out. Paul, who wrote most of the New Testament was criticized by the Jewish followers of Christ for receiving the Gentiles, which most Christians are, and not trying to make them follow the rituals of Judaism. I see a pattern there. Yet somehow, most of us who claim Christ seem to justify our faith in terms of who’s in and who’s out. That was not Jesus’ style at all. Jesus was more like this:

Luke 6:1-4

Jesus Is Lord of the Sabbath
    1 Now it happened on the second Sabbath after the first that He went through the grainfields. And His disciples plucked the heads of grain and ate them, rubbing them in their hands. 2 And some of the Pharisees said to them, “Why are you doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath?”
    3 But Jesus answering them said, “Have you not even read this, what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him: 4 how he went into the house of God, took and ate the showbread, and also gave some to those with him, which is not lawful for any but the priests to eat?”

We love Jesus because his power to forgive was so strong that even while he was being crucified he thought about others. He said, “Father forgive them for they know not what they do” toward those who wanted him dead although he only did good for them. Yet we say we follow him, but can only come up with condemnations, exclusivity, resentment, and judgment of those with whom we do not agree. Where’s the forgiveness? Remember what he told Peter in Matthew 18:21-22? Forgive offenses 70 X 7 times. We have trouble doing it once. When we attack others, we are spitting in the face of Jesus on the cross and make all of his work for nothing in our lives. I say “we” because I tow that line sometimes myself. Still, His grace is sufficient in our weaknesses (2 Corinthians 12:9) so in faith that God is true to His Word, I do not try to justify myself by projecting onto Jesus my prejudices and lack of compassion, because that was not how he lived. He shows me where I need to work on myself. That’s why he said:

Matthew 7:1-5

1 “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

I say this all in Love and with no intention of convincing any of you of anything. In fact, I seriously doubt I would have made Rob Bell’s choice (as Jim points out). I just tried to imagine what he might have been thinking, because that is what I would hope that someone would do for me before condemning me. I’m sure everyone of us has been in that position.

I’m so glad that Jesus did not give back to us what the world gave him and gave us an option on how to approach difference.

7. Pingback: Rob Bell is back to tell teens that “Christian beliefs about hell are Toxic”! | A Twisted Crown of Thorns ®