A Twisted Crown of Thorns ®

Reformed. Christianity. Evangelism. Modern Culture.

When America’s pastor endorses ‘Gangnam style’!

20121127-184234.jpg

When pastors keep a finger on the pulse of pop culture so as to set the pace for the church then do not be surprised when there becomes no difference between the sacred and the profane. If you look to “America’s pastor” to decide your purpose then he sure is doing a good purpose driven job…

Rick Warren is a megachurch pastor, international speaker, and best-selling author of the bestselling hardback non-fiction book in history, The Purpose Driven Life. Outside of coordinating global peace efforts and Bible study curriculum for his 20,000+ member non-denominational Christian congregation in Southern California, he’s tracking popular trends and publicly declaring his affinity for South Korean artist Psy’s K-pop song “Gangnam Style.” According to Twitter, “Gangnam Style” has been his ringtone since July 20.

[Apparently] “Gangnam Style,” a song by South Korean artist Psy, recently became the most-viewed YouTube video EVER, with over 826 million views as of this month (overtaking my man, J Biebs’, “Baby” video). The “Gangnam Style” dance is now a global phenomenon, with thousands buying, playing, and dancing to it on a weekly basis.

The world seems to be having a lot more influence on the American church these days. Reminds me of when one man in anguish lamented, “If God withdrew the Holy Spirit tomorrow, my church would function just the same; we wouldn’t even know He was gone.”
Oh my anguish!

Advertisements

13 responses to “When America’s pastor endorses ‘Gangnam style’!

1. John Downey November 27, 2012 at 19:11

If Warren hadn’t blocked me I probably would have snarked a reply to that tweet. At least I didn’t have to take a step back in my progressive sanctification.

• Acidri November 27, 2012 at 19:43

Consider it a blessing that he blocked you from following him!

2. Pieter Stok November 27, 2012 at 22:47

Rather than being countercultural, we are increasingly shaped by our culture.

• Acidri November 27, 2012 at 23:07

Sad!

3. SLIMJIM November 29, 2012 at 07:54

Sad. On another note, I notice the bio blurb about him, “best-selling author of the bestselling hardback non-fiction book in history,” someone might say it’s among the top selling FICTION book as well.

4. Pingback: The Filter for November 30 « churchthought.com

5. Pingback: The Filter: Robert Schuller, Gangham Style, John MacArthur, Pat Robertson, and Fireman Ed | OpenArms.tv

6. BH December 4, 2012 at 14:10

I think it’s funny to have a blog post critizising a pastor who has sold out to culture on a blog with video ads that push consumerism and spending as a way to better your life. We all sell out, we would just rather see the speck in someone else’s eye.

I watched the ad three times so you could get more money. You’re welcome :).

• Acidri December 4, 2012 at 14:26

Sorry I have no control over WordPress ads. I gain nothing from their merchandising. This blog is hosted on the WordPress.com international server. Maybe if I had a little money and had my own server I would block all ads!

7. Pingback: Our take: When America's pastor goes "Gangham Style" - ToddRhoades.com

8. Pingback: Our take: When America’s pastor goes “Gangham Style” | OpenArms.tv

9. Pingback: 2012: The Best and Worst of the year! « A Twisted Crown of Thorns ®

10. Pingback: Warning: The Purpose Drive Church Heresy ~ Rick Warren « The Surf Report