When faced with the rather difficult task of picking a pastor from a list of candidates what qualities would you go for? Would you consider humor, agility and creativity or would you go for theological astuteness? 9 Marks makes the task alot easier in this article by tackling the task head on…
A church should ask at least four types of questions of any potential pastor: theological, philosophy of ministry, practical, and personal.
- Theological. A church should ask a pastoral candidate theological questions because what that pastor believes will shape everything he does in the church. So a church should ask him questions like:
- Do you agree with everything in this church’s statement of faith? Is there anything missing from this statement of faith that you would like changed or added?
- Is there a confession of faith which better articulates your views?
- What is the gospel?
- Do you believe in the doctrines of grace? Why or why not?
- What are some theological issues that you think are especially important for Christians to get right in this time and place?
- How would you characterize your understanding of biblical church leadership? …Read More!